Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Jamie Oliver's Courgette Gratin


Sadly I can't take the credit for this delicious yet very easy dish. I've also just found out that it's World Vegetarian Day tomorrow so this recipe seems particularly appropriate.

Courgette Gratin

Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 40-50 minutes
Ingredients - serves 4-6:

3 onions, finely sliced
180g basmati rice
6 courgettes, thinly sliced
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
4 heaped tbsp crème fraiche
150g grated Emmental/Cheddar cheese

Pre-heat the oven to 190c.

Gently soften the onions in oil (I used vegetable oil, Jamie suggests duck fat) adding a splash of water if it looks as if they are going to stick. This will take at least 15 minutes. Add rice and courgettes, mix well, then pour in the heated stock. Cook for five minutes. Take off the heat, stir in the crème fraiche and most of the cheese. Season to your taste.

Pour into an oiled gratin dish - it will look quite gloopy at this point. Try and put the rice below the surface and the courgettes on top as best you can. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 40-50 minutes, by which time the rice will have absorbed the liquid and the cheese will be golden.

I served ours on its own with some salad leaves and a simple balsamic dressing, although it would be equally lovely (if not lovelier, says the inner carnivore in me...) as a side dish with roast chicken.







For other inspiring ways to eat your courgettes, check out the following links:

No comments:

Post a Comment